Saturday, January 30, 2010

I am HIS vessel


Tonight while doing the dishes, I pondered for a moment about my mild obsession with certain things. The current one being nutrition and over all healthy living.

Now lets rewind some to oh, lets say about six years ago. This is about the time I was introduced to a different way of eating, which was equivalent to a life style change. My husband-to be was heavily educated in the well being of the body. His career at that time was massage therapy. That might not sound very significant, but for me, I felt unmatched. I'll give an example of what I'm speaking of. I was frying my eggs in butter one day and to my dismay I began to hear a lecture brewing in my left ear about how what I was doing was unhealthy. The list of reasons why were streaming from his nutritionally educated self and for some reason I had trouble just focusing on the first one. So by the time he was finished I'm quite certain my eyes were glazed over and all I could think of in my defense was something like, "I was just cooking myself an egg". That was just the beginning. Just to clarify, the beginning was not something dreadful, it was just the beginning of my venture into the world of nutrition. I'm not insinuating that frying an egg in butter is evil and it will kill you, nor was my husband. He was just informing me to what frying an egg in butter looked like from behind a microscope and how it behaves in our body.

So back to my obsession.

Six years is a fare amount of time for change to occur. In that time, our family has grown, my relationship with Christ has grown, and so on. It's fare to say that in that time I've become a little wiser and a little bit more knowledgeable. Being wiser is great, unfortunately the more knowledge I've gained has lead me to a place of obsession. I might be so bold to say idolatry. Idolatry, isn't that such a nasty sounding word. Exodus 20:3
We can all allow things in our lives to take the place of Christ, I am no exception. This week has been such a low for me. Not a low like feeling blue or depressed. I've allowed my knowledge of health and nutrition to take the place of Christ. A perfect example of this would be just this week when preparing to make a meal. I had an image of what to cook for dinner except while in preparation I began to feel a hint of anxiety come over me. Then all the factors start rolling through my mind. What results is, me revamping how I'm going to prepare the food and what I'll actually make because of the anxiety. The scenario could sound like this in my mind. "I can't cook this with this oil because of the molecular structure will change in the oil and then we'll be ingesting toxins." Yes, I know. That does sound a little much.

I'm to treat my body as a temple, a holy vessel. 1 Cor 6:19-22
He has our welfare in check. Matthew 10:29-31
There needs to be a happy place.
There must be a line drawn, and not crossing it means I'll be free not to become paralyzed by fear. I resolve to put me and my family in God's hands and not allowing fear or what I think I know to rule me.
I resolve to put the Father where He belongs.
Ahead of me and my thoughts, because His ways are perfect Deuteronomy 32:4
and mine sure are not.



Exodus 20:3 You shall have no other gods before me.

1 Cor 6:19-22 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that food for my mind and soul! Very good.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE DROP YOUR THOUGHTS HERE.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...