Thursday, March 12, 2009

Apologia Science



We just recently started Apologia's Astronomy. We are currently on the 2nd lesson, the sun. I am reading the book aloud and then my son goes back and reads it himself. The assignments and projects are right up his ally. I added a couple things to the mix. 

For instance, the sun is the approximate size of a dinner plate and the earth is like a peppercorn. My son compared these two objects side by side and thought it was a neat comparison. I then got him to trace the plate on paper and glue the peppercorn to the paper and write two facts that he remembered from the reading.   


The activity in the 1st lesson is to make the planets in order with balloons and hang them from the ceiling. The balloons we had were sure not going to expand to 27 inches so I had to change the plan to cutting the planets out of large paper. He coloured them and taped the entire project to our living room wall, as seen below. 


Today while continuing to read about the sun I was almost giddy when it asked the student to physically "rotate" and "revolve" like the earth and moon do. He LOVED using his body to learn this information. I didn't think of taking a photo of this learning event but I'm sure the memory of it will help him remember what the difference is between rotating and revolving.

Can I say I love Apologia! 



My son is currently reading. 
Magic Tree House Research Guide #6: Space: A Nonfiction Companion to Midnight on the Moon (A Stepping Stone Book(TM))

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE DROP YOUR THOUGHTS HERE.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...