Monday, March 5, 2012

2011/2012 CURRICULUM *UPDATE*



It's about that time of year now where we're flipping through catalogues or buzzing around the internet looking for next years picks. 
I can honestly say, that I look for new stuff more often than once or twice a year. I tend to shop around before Christmas if I notice something needs a tweak. After meeting with our homeschool facilitator this past fall (2011) and after spending some time observing and thinking on these things:

  1. How are my kids enjoying, understanding, being challenged by this?
  2. What about me? How am I doing with this?
  3. Does this fit our schedule, our goals, our lifestyle, our beliefs, etc.?
  4. Do we really need it? Can we do without? Can I use it differently?
  5. What does God want?

I chose to add, delete and even change up how we use some things from this list. Because of that I thought I'd update my list of what we're working on which will bring us into the summer. As some may not know, we are year round schoolers, so the pressure is off to finish resources and just focus on pressing on towards the goals laid out. 

Below, under the hash line is the 2011/2012 curriculum post from the beginning of the school year of my picks for our homeschool, along with my thoughts from August (2011).


HERE'S THE UPDATED LIST WITH NOTES in RED

First thing is:
I've been planning weekly and I'm really doing it! (yes, pat me on the back now, and *insert applause* thank you) I'm planning a separate post on scheduling, planning and goals soon. Just an added note to planning. That five point list above; I actually work backwards, from 5 to 1. 
What does God want? In November after I shook things up a little with our curriculum, I decided to start planning again, but MY WAY. I also brought back a three term school year, just for keeping track of our year, not for added pressure of finishing curriculum. My compass is not to COMPLETE but to LISTEN TO THE HOLY SPIRIT and TO OURSELVES.






Family Work will consist of:

Eagle (gr. 6 age 11/12) (He's on track with most things)

Zazu (gr.1 age 6) (He's on track with most things)
Zazu is still using a rolling cart (the one linked has only 4 drawers, Zazu's has 5 drawers) workbox style for his school day.


Alba (gr. Toddler age 2) I added Alba in January, because she's ready and asking for big girl things to do. Scheduling this in helps me to actually get these things done with her.





---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...with a Charlotte Mason Flavour!

Not Back to School Blog Hop


It's Curriculum Week at Heart of the Matter
I'm a little late on this but I'm participating.


WHERE do I begin?

Well... I started splitting our year into 3 terms last fall (2010) and also tried year round schooling, the spring also brought consistent Family Work time. Sticking to terms, well... it fell through. Year round, WORKED! (lowered my stress significantly) Family Work, it's working well.

These three decisions majorly influenced our curriculum. 

Just click and you'll see what I've planned to use, so far.
We've already been using half of these resources for some time now. Some others are either quite new to us and there are a few new and yet to be used. And well music study for example, I just linked a bunch of selections through Amazon.

I just want to add that I'm not posting everything we use, just the main things. we have many devotional type books, but that info is for another post.

Our Family Work will consist of:

Eagle (gr. 6)


Zazu (gr.1)






In the past when my educational facilitator comes to visit in fall, I've felt like I have too much going on. But I need to remember and so I'm letting you know also, that we touch on these things once a day or once a month. Our schedule is full but not heavy. I've weighed things out and I feel that I'm on the right track, in terms of where God is directing our studies.

And about planning our year...
I'm not concerned about week to week. When we finish one thing we just move on to the next. We've come to a point now where planning is more progressive. I've sought God for more flow in our days, and it's happening slowly. If we need to tweak, we tweak. If it only was that easy some days. He's always GOOD though! 

He's always good.

Not Back to School Blog Hop
 

Good Day Friend,

MO

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE DROP YOUR THOUGHTS HERE.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...